Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Eleanor Goldman| Our Grammie

This last month our sweet little Grammie passed away. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer a year prior and was given about a year to live. She sure fought to the very end. Growing up we lived just 15 minutes away, and Grammie was involved in practically everything we did. She was a spunky, feisty, loving little portuguese woman. I think she was only 5 feet tall and all the grandchildren used her as a measuring tape. When you were as tall as Grammie, you knew you were growing up! Then we all surpassed her and she was just our little Grammie. I remember taking frequent trips to Santa Clara in her white cadillac with maroon interior to visit the Aunties (Helen & Rosie). Christmas Eve used to be at her house, she would make cioppino (the adults ate it) and we had pizza at the kids card table. In the summer her house was the place to pick raspberries, they were the best! We would play in her basement and play football on her front lawn. We made frequent trips to Baskin Robins on the corner for a scoop of ice cream, or walked to Long's Drugs. She taught me how to crochet, which I love to do today, and I have the baby blanket she made me when I was born. She has made Ellie countless blankets and I will cherish them forever. I use to go to her house every Sunday for lunch when I worked at the nursery. Those days were great, it was just me and her. She would tell me about her life, about how she met my grandpa and how they got married after knowing each other for 2 weeks or something crazy :) and about how she grew up in an old adobe house.  Grammie was there for just about everything. I am so so grateful that she was there for so many milestones in my life. Cross country races, high school graduation, track meets, my wedding, and most importantly she met my Ellie. She will be missed every single day, but I know that she is able to see her loving husband again after so much time apart. She is still surrounded by family just not on this earth. We love you Grammie. See Ya Later Alligator XOXO

There are no true endings.......only everlasting beginnings.
 Dieter F. Uchdorf











1 comment: