Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Springville Track and Field

As most of you know I was an assistant coach for Springville High School this last season. It was a fun experience and I feel I learned a lot and formed some great relationships with the athletes. Last weekend the season came to an end at the state championships. We had quite a few qualifiers and most of them made it to finals. The weather was absolutely terrible on Friday, it was raining, windy and cold. Luckily on Saturday for finals the weather cleared up and it was beautiful. The day was suspenseful to say the least. Our fastest girl runner pulled out of the 100 meter and wouldn't be unable to compete the rest of the day due to a hamstring injury. She was suppose to be on both of the relay teams so the team realized they would have to win without her. The girls responded and performed above and beyond. With an alternate on the relays they still managed to win the 4x100 and second in the 4x400. The day was filled with exciting races and unexpected performances. By the end of the day we knew that the points for teams standing was close. The Springville girls have placed 2nd for 3 or 4 years in a row. Well not this year.....We got 1st place!!!!! I cant even explain how excited I was for these girls. I think I was more excited and emotional for these girls than I was when I placed 3rd in state, lets just say there were tears. The boys did well too, they got 2nd place, which was an amazing accomplishment. After the word got back to Springville they fire department wanted to drive the boys and girls team around town on top of the fire truck. It was awesome! Everyone pulled over and we were sitting on top of the truck screaming, o man, what a day. I was so exhausted from the two days of competition, and I didn't even run! My voice was gone, but it was so worth it. I loved, loved, loved being a part of the season, and I loved coaching these kids. They are so awesome, and I am sad it over. Hopefully I will be back next track season;)

No comments:

Post a Comment