Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day

I had completely forgotten about the celebration of May Day until today.

May Day was also celebrated by some early European settlers of the American continent. In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someones doorstep. The giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver. If they catch the person, a kiss is exchanged

 When we were younger we would go to my mom's garden and gather up camellias, cineraria, and sprigs or ferns. We would put together a few bouquets of flowers and wrap them in foil. Then we would walk down the block and place the flowers on a few of the neighbors doorsteps, knock and RUN! We would find a hiding place and watch as they open the door. Usually we would blow our cover about 30 seconds after they saw their flowers, but it was so much fun. 

I don't know how many of you celebrated May Day growing up, but I am glad we did. My mom was so awesome for keeping great traditions like this alive with us. I definitely want to keep this tradition going with Ellie!

Had to write this memory down somewhere so I don't forget it!





No comments:

Post a Comment