Friday, August 29, 2014

What's Cookin


I go through phases where I am on a roll with cooking. Some weeks I am on fire, others I am indecisive, lazy and have a creative block. (We eat chili dogs on a regular basis)  I love to cook and the time and effort it takes is so worth it when it comes out so delicious. Here are a few of the things I have whipped up this summer that were so good.


1. Bruschetta

So easy and so satisfying. Nothing better than tomato and basil (fresh from the garden). I just grabbed a recipe off Pinterest. There are a few different variations out there but I'm pretty sure you can never go wrong. 

I used: tomato, basil. red onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. 

2. Greek Salad

When you have cucumber coming out of your ears you have to use them up. So greek salad it is, and anything with Feta on it is just amazing. 

For those of you who want to know about my balsamic vinaigrette, it's really no secret. 

1 packet Good Seasons italian dressing mix
Buy the little craft thing for the dressing that is right next to the packet of mix at the grocery store.

Here is the catch, use balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. I get my balsamic at Costco, its really good. 

Easy! You will never make another dressing, Promise!



 3. Asian Quinoa Salad

Now that I know how to cook quinoa properly and bought the Good Stuff from costco I really love it. Here is the link to this recipe on Pinterest. It was great. Really fresh and lots of crunch with the veggies.



4. Orzo Caprese Salad

The orzo was delicious. Just added tomato, basil, diced mozzarella, olive oil, salt and pepper. So fresh and yummy. 

Also I try and boil a whole chicken once every week or so. Its so easy and makes for tons of yummy chicken. You just throw it in a pot for an hour and let it simmer. Then pick it when your done. I usually add cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and bay leaves when I boil it. I am able to throw shredded chicken into whatever recipe I want, make sandwiches or salads. Then I freeze a few ice cube trays of chicken stock. It works well for us in our house!


5. Summer Salads

See... chicken and berries. This salad with the balsamic dressing I mentioned above = perfection!


Making use of all the fresh summer fruit. Two thumbs up for fruit on salad!


6. Mexican Quinoa salad

Save the best for last! I am a sucker for Mexican flavors. 
Quinoa, canned black beans, frozen corn, diced tomato, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and lime juice. You can add jalapenos for an extra kick. Top with avocado, chicken or shrimp or eat it plane. So so good! A new favorite in our house. 




No comments:

Post a Comment